Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I feel like I should do more or try harder

Last week was super fun! I spent the week with my Sister in Utah. Also visited my Brother and his family while there. Lots of fun and crafting going on there. Utah definitely has the BEST craft stores! I'm glad (David's glad) that we don't live there, I would craft too much and clean too little. Don't worry I took pictures (once I figured out how to use my cell phone camera - Thanks Ruth and Arin) so that I can recreate some of the crafts here in Ohio. I also visited the Church Art Museum while there. That was really cool! I stood behind President Hinckley's podium from the conference center! Not the current one, the old one. It's in the Art Museum. I know I'm a dork, but you would have done it too. I saw some amazing paintings that made me want to paint again. Hopefully that feeling doesn't last too long or I'll end up with another half done painting. Hmm... Maybe I should finish the one I started 4 years ago... or not. I did a little family research at the Family History Center. I hiked the Y! That was fun. And I attended a session at the Salt Lake Temple. That was AMAZING! I could not get over the detail and beauty that was achieved without the fancy tools that we have today. Unbelievable. Hiking the Y and seeing the amazing beauty of the temple is what leads me to feel that I should do more. The pioneers did so much with their time and energy. I could not imagine leaving my home and belongings behind for a destination unknown. I'm sure the first few days were fun and adventurous, but after days, weeks, months of walking I'm sure it got extremely old and yet they still kept going. Going over rivers, through deserts, across mountains until they found the place Heavenly Father prepared for them (seeing those mountains really left an impression on me, I know mountains are big but until you are sitting on one looking out across the valley at the mountains on the other side you have no clue how big. And I only had to climb up half of one mountain). Then when they finally settled in Utah the pioneers put their hearts and souls into building a temple that still stands today and is absolutely amazing. If I had helped build it... well, think foolish man, you get the picture. Most of the people working on it probably didn't even live long enough to see it finished. You have to go see for yourself. There aren't words to describe how awesome it really is. And it was overwhelming to think of all the people that have been though that temple - including my grandparents. The Salt Lake temple is where my grandparents and their children (my dad and uncles) were sealed as a family many many MANY moons ago. Sorry dad I don't remember the actual date, but I do know it was after Brigham Young and before Spencer W. Kimball. Why did I pick those prophets you ask, simple. Brigham Young helped build the temple so it couldn't be before him. Spencer W Kimball was the first prophet I remember which means I was born and I know you were sealed as a family before I was born. Anyone could have figured that out. So after the amazing Utah experience I'm left feeling like there's something more I should/could be doing. After all "teach me all that I must do" is how the song goes. Not sure exactly how that's going to pan out, because I really feel like I do too much sometimes. But in comparison to what the Pioneers did, my life is pretty cushy.

4 comments:

Laurie Rohrbach said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! I'm very proud of you, just so you know...

Ruth Vest said...

you do more than you know or give yourself credit for. right now your life is consumed with the largest service project God put on this earth... raising a family. that is and should be your top priority right now and you do a great job.

katie said...

I agree with Ruth, you do more than you know. You are an incredible example to those around you, including me. You will never know how much I look up to you.

Ruth Vest said...

i agree with katie.