Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I've learned something!

I learned something important tonight at the RS Girls Night Out. Many of us, including myself, have and will spend thousands of dollars for marriage/family/personal counseling. There's nothing wrong with that, it saved my marriage. But many times I wonder if we could avoid that cost if we just sat down and talked openly with our friends, parents or grandparents, or even people at church. There is one specific couple I know that has been through a lot of crap in their marriage. (No, I'm not talking about me although I have had my fair share of crap.) Some of their crap was marital, some crap was personal, and some crap wasn't because of anything they did crap was just thrown upon them. (No, not literally. Give me a break people!) Yet they still both have a smile on their face every day. It's a real smile too, you can tell when it's fake. Anyway, after we talk with those couples openly maybe we could listen to what they said. Possibly even give a few suggestions a try in our marriage. It's just a thought. Right now I can think of several couples I know that have been married for over 20 years successfully. When I say "successfully" I mean they are truly happy and have worked through all their difficulties together. By "successfully" I do not mean that they have never had an argument or come across difficult times. Keep in mind everyone has difficulties, they may be different than yours or mine, but they have them. Obviously those couples who have made it to 20 years successfully know something to get it right for so many years. I'm sure they would be happy to share their secret... if we just asked. Mater of fact, it's probably not even a secret, we just didn't pay attention when they told us the first time. I know I didn't pay attention. I was married in the temple! Those of us who were sealed in the temple are "CRAP PROOF" right? I wish, actually since you and I made that one good choice we are crap magnets now. Wish you would have known that one sooner, huh. I guess that takes up back to the beginning of my blog today. I listened tonight, had fun, ate some yummy food, and didn't learn anything about making my marriage better except this... I have lots of friends and family who are willing to help me through times of "CRAP". I'm very lucky that I don't need them right now :)

1 comment:

Ruth Vest said...

i like this post. good advice. i appreciate it. good work. glad you had fun.