Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Want to change your life?

If you're looking for a sure fire way to change your life try one of the following
1. Pray daily - if you're already doing that try
2. Study the scriptures for 15 min. a day - don't have the time? turn the tv off : )

If you're already doing #1, #2 then try this
3. When you feel frustrated, angry, upset... anything you don't want to feel, ask yourself "What would Jesus Christ do, or what would He want me to do?"

I've had #1 down pretty well (not perfect, but close) for a long time now, almost 33 years to be exact. #2 I just started a year ago. Doing well I might add. It has made a big difference in my life. I have found that Kaelyn and Bryce get along better. I get along with them better. Life is all around happier, not perfect, but happier. So now we've been trying #3 here in the Worley home on a regular basis. I try to remind the kids of it when they are acting up, and I try to remind myself of it when I'm acting up : ) Doesn't always work so well on me, I'm a little bull headed somedays. I know, it's a new problem I've developed. I would make the little smily face with the tounge sticking out at you right now, but I don't know how to do that. Anyway, using question #3 has made decision making easier in our house. I no longer have to play refferee and be the bad guy with the kids. I simply say "What would Christ want you to do?" Then I tell them that whatever decision they make I will stand behind. I also remind them that there are good choices and bad choices and each of those have consequenses and that they need to think them through before making the choice. Does this always work this way, no. Some days I loose it and yell at the kids and send them to their room anyway. BUT, somedays they surprise me and come up with the right choice on their own and they follow through with it as well. Start today, you're kids are never too young to learn new tricks. You might be though : )

3 comments:

Ruth Vest said...

awesome advice. me and jeff talk a lot about raising kids and what we want to do and what we want to avoid and one of the big things i want to do is let the kids make the choices-AND deal with the consequences of those choices. i like that idea. i think it was awesome that mom let us pick out our own clothes. i know it's small but i think it was wise of her. if we looked dumb... we looked dumb. that taught us to either be confident in ourselves no matter what or pick better clothes next time. love the ideas-good thinking and we will for sure use that when we are parents.

Laurie Rohrbach said...

The trick is to pick which choices kids get to make. Like going to church was not a choice, but what you got to wear was a choice. Going to seminary was not a choice, but whether you read your scriptures or not was a choice. Just remember you have to teach them enough so that they are capable of making the right choice. Some parents forget that they ARE the parents and need to act as such. Liz and Dave are doing a GREAT job!!! I'm very proud of the Worley family.

liz said...

I agree with mom. I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to be your mom.